Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A Walk In The Park

On Sunday, September 25, 2005, Mark and I went to a ballgame: Oakland v. Texas. It was a fantastic day. It was Breast Cancer Awareness Day at the park. Here is how I got invited... I was in Longs #94 one day picking up one of my many prescriptions and I met Teresa. Teresa is a breast cancer survivor. Teresa was checking as a cashier at the time and wore a few Oakland A's pink ribbon pins on her collar. Since I am a big A's fan who had just been diagnosed with breast cancer, I asked her about them. She told me the A's have a breast cancer day every year and she gave me a number for survivors to call to get an invitation. So, in July, because I am a survivor, I got my invite. Here is what the day included:
  • two tickets (one for me and one for a companion - I took Mark, of course)
  • bagels and cream cheese, juice, water or soda, jamba juice when we arrived to check in
  • a goodie bag packed to the brim...I mean this thing was HEAVY with free stuff!
  • a pink tshirt to wear on the field
  • sandals
  • a catered lunch - cafeteria style...yummy
  • a luncheon with several guest speakers from the bay area....tv news anchors and popular radio hosts included as well as players' wives
  • the promotion for the day; Bobby Kielty Troll Dolls!
  • finally, we all got to walk on the field during a pre-game ceremony. The survivors marched on the field and moved into position to make a huge pink ribbon, while the supporters marched along the dirt track all around the field. my sister, Arlene and her husband Duke were there to show their support for me on that day, in addition to Mark, of course.
During the ceremony, white doves were released in remembrance of those who did not survive the deadly disease, and at the end of the Star Spangled Banner, all of the survivors released the pink ballons that we marched out with. It was a glorious sight.
After releasing the ballons, we marched back off the field and to our loved ones. Then it was time for baseball. The A's didn't win that night, but that's okay. I had a great day. I felt so important that day. Plus it was all free!
Both Mark and Arlene and Duke told the same story: as they were walking down to the field in between s survivors, they were applauded. However they were confused about getting applause. They figured WE, the survivors deserved the applause. I told her that we didn't choose to have cancer. Having cancer doesn't really require courage (in my opinion). She says, "We didn't do anything to deserve that clapping". Untrue. The survivors got free tickets to the game and all of the festivites. But the supports had to dig in to their own pockets to take part. Their tickets cost $25.00 each and included the walk in the park. The supporters are the ones that made this whole giving event a giving event. You see? God blesses us with those who give from the heart. They bless those of us with cancer, and those of us who will get cancer and don't yet know it.

No comments: