Sunday, September 25, 2005

I Miss Radiation Therapy

Yep. I miss all those silly people. No, I don't miss the radiation...just the folks. They said I can still come around and visit them in Radiation Oncology at the hospital, and if I feel like it, I can even put on the gown. Yeah. Right.
They are really such special people. They have become so much a part of my world over the last six and a half weeks (I guess they would, since I have had to go to the radiation oncology department every day of those six and a half weeks. Everyday except for weekends and the Labor Day holiday.....because we all know that cancer doesn't grow on weekends and holidays..lol).
I wanted to do something special for them on my last day of radiation, so I stopped at Jamba Juice on the way in and picked up about sixteen smoothies for everyone. I think they liked them. It was a fun "last day of radiation". They (the therapists and Kristen and Margaret [the boss]) hummed "Pomp And Circumstance" for me when they presented me with my certificate of completion...like a graduation diploma. The day before I picked up a bunch of cookies from Cookies By Design.
I was dreading my last day of radiation therapy. They really are an amazing bunch of people. So caring! And it turns out...SO FUN! I cried and cried on my last day. I came away with a few email addresses and telephone numbers, though...so I am good.
I pulled one other stunt on my last day of radiation therapy. I drew a happy face on my left breast. What the heck? They wrote on me everyday with their Sharpies! I thought I would surprise them with a little design of my own and hopefully get them to laugh, too. Mission accomplished. Heck, I was proud of my handiwork I was showing my boob to folks who weren't even therapists! Sherry took some digital pictures of my left breast with my drawn-on artwork. They said, "Put the pictures on the blog!". As if. I only agreed to let them take the picture so they could put it in my file. There it will be protected by HIPAA. God, I hope so. =:o
My last appointment on the Primus (that is the name of the machine that was administering the radiation) was not the last time I will go to radiation oncology. I have a three month check up in...you guessed it...three months. And then, after that, I will have a six month checkup and then annual check ups.

1 comment:

Dee said...

I have learned so much from reading your blog. Somehow I had visualized radiation as lasting forever--like two years or something. Anyway. Congratulations.