Thursday, August 18, 2005

Radiation Oncology at John Muir Hospital

What a great place to go everyday! They give ice cream to the patients while they wait. Can you believe it? You get a choice of either vanilla or orange sherbet. I like the orange.
Here is what happens when I go to radiation therapy:
When I come in, I get the best greeting by the amiable Kristin (who flatly refuses to be photographed). Kristin calls me "Blogger". Kristin (or someone like Kristin) sees me enter the reception area at Radiation Oncology and they "queue me in", meaning they let the technicians know that I have arrived. I wave at Kristin and go through the swinging doors (like in a saloon) to the patients' queue area. I call it the "VIP Lounge". It is nice in the VIP Lounge because that's where I get to watch TV and have ice cream!
After some time in the VIP Lounge, I get "the finger". Meaning: one of the technicians comes out of the door and wags his or her finger at me. When I get: "the finger" it is my turn on the radiation machine.
Once in the radiation room, I lie down on the bed thingy and they have something they put under my knees to make my back comfortable, and I rest my head in a cup-like thing and my left arm goes over my head and into some contraption to keep it there. Then after it is confirmed that I am lying in the correct position (it must be the same every day!) out come the Sharpies and the artistry begins.
...to be continued.

No comments: