Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Which Blood Test When?

I am so confused about when I am supposed to get which blood test. I can't figure it out.
Here is what I do know:
  • I see Dr. Sherman every month, right before I get my Aredia IV drip. This is so that he can look at my liver function and verify that I can get the drip. The liver panel is available on the Big Labs, which takes three days for the results to get back to my Dr. Sherman.
  • I need to get my pro-time checked (for my blood clotting time) as directed by Dr. Sherman or Cindy or Kathleen. Sometimes they might have me check it in a week, or it could be two weeks. It depends on if there has been an adjustment to my Coumadin or not. The results for the Pro-Time take about three hours and Quest Diagnostics usually runs the results upstairs (I don't have to wait for them).
  • The CBC is what I used to get every two weeks before chemo. This is to check my white and red blood cell counts. Until last week I was continuing with the cbcs every other week because it took that long (since the beginning of July) to get my reb blood cells back in shape. I don't know if I am supposed to get cbcs anymore.
  • The BIG LABS includes the cbc and the pro-time, too.
  • Dr. Carmel just sent me over to Quest last week for a cbc for his office, too. He asked me if whenever I get blood work done, to have them send Dr. Carmel a copy as well.
(I asked Quest if they could just send Dr. Carmel a copy of the one for Dr. Sherman and they told me I would have to have Dr. Sherman authorize that Dr. Carmel can get a copy. Geez. So, I did ask the receptionist up at Dr. Sherman's office to add Dr. Carmel on the list of "folks who get a copy" and it never happened, apparently.)
Maybe I will just go every week to Quest and get Big Labs drawn. Twice. Once for Dr. Sherman, and once for Dr. Carmel.

No comments: