Thursday, August 04, 2005

Radioactivity

Well, I just got back from my very first radiation therapy session. I didn't feel a thing! I get four different shots (for lack of a better word) of radiation per session. One is aimed at my left breast from the right side. Another they call the "lateral", which is from the left side. The third one is aimed at the axilla. And the last one is for the supraclavicular area. Here is a link that shows an example of the area that gets radiated for breast cancer. The folks at the radiology oncology place told me I am "unusual". They were talking about my settings for the machine. I think. Just kidding. They were referring to the machine settings. Oh well, not like I ever considered myself normal. Ha!
I went to Longs today to get the recommended deodorant (no aluminum!) and some Aloe Vera gel for the sunburns that I will be developing.
Looks like I am going to be off work another thirty days thanks to the nice people at my office. See, what happened was that I miscalculated the length of time the FLMA allowed me to be off for this cancer treatment. I thought it was three months, which would have me back to work on Monday, August 8th. In actuality, it was twelve weeks off, which should have had me back to work already (July 31st). Rats! I didn't know I was mistaken until I got a notice in the mail from the HR department telling me that my thirty day personal leave was approved. Thanks so much, Paula!
All in all it was a good day today. I feel happy to start my radiation at last. I am happy to do whatever it takes to get my life back in order...to be healthy again.
A note to Marina: Thank you for reading my blog. I noticed when you guys took me to lunch. You had all the information I had put in this blog. I am impressed, and humbled. You are a very nice lady.
As a matter of fact, thanks to all of you who read my blog. Again, I am humbled by your interest and concern. Oh yeah, a couple more things:
  • Thank you, Pharmacy Dept. for the gift - it was too much, but I will do my best to spend it all!
  • Thank you, Quality Assurance Team - the orchid and the colorpot are beautiful additions to my home.
Thanks again to everyone who came to my party. It was great to have you all around me again. Lots of people don't like to have birthday parties when they get older, but I have to tell you: I recommend them! And believe me, I didn't have a party for the presents (although that was a nice bonus!), I had a party to be with the people I love. It was priceless.

No comments: