Sunday, August 28, 2005

Aredia Drip #2

We had an interesting day at Dr. Sherman's office on Friday. Once a month I get my bone strengthener medicine: Aredia. Friday was my second infusion.
I was there for about ten minutes when a nice older man (83 years old) sat down in the chair next to me. He was a quiet man. Didn't say much. I did overhear that he was there for the same thing I was: Aredia. His name was Mr. S.
I noticed he had a tattoo on his left arm. I asked him what it was. He told me it was his tattoo from Auschwitz. Gasp!
Mark and I were in awe, and we were all ears. Through a few tears, Mr. S. told us about his internment, how he lost 70 of his family members and was the only person left of his family. He told us of the job he did while in the camp (airplane scrapper), and he told us of his arrival in the United States.
Mr. S. looks good. He looks strong. He lives nearby and has a single daugther, no grandchildren. Gwen (the chemo nurse) asked Mr. S. and me when we'd like to come back in for our next appointment and I said, "I want to come back the same day as Mr. S.!"
You never know who you will run into at the doctor's office. It isn't hard for me to start a conversation because in a doctor's office, you always have something in common.
One thing I have learned with cancer: I have a lot to learn. I do a lot more listening than talking these days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deirdre, you are as beautiful as ever.
All the best (belated) Birthday wishes! Gesa