Thursday, June 09, 2005

Chemo #6 - check!

It's all good (so far).
We
got screwed up again this week. We normally have our meeting with Dr. Sherman the day before chemotherapy...to go over the results of the CBC (complete blood count). We usually meet with him on Wednesday at 3:30 or 4:00 pm. This week, however, our meeting was for Wednesday at 9:45 am. We didn't realize we missed the appointment until I got up and out of the shower at 10:00 am and checked the calendar. Whoopsie. So I went to Quest anyway and had blood drawn for both the CBC and the Pro-Time test. I just took the results of the CBC home with me and brought them to chemo today. I figured Dr. Sherman would take a look at them if he was there and Kathleen was going to check my Pro-Time results today anyway. All I know is I did not want the missed apointment to put a snag or delay of any kind in my chemotherapy.
So. Chemotherapy started off a little rocky. Mary could not get my port irrigated at first. It took about five minutes before she could get things moving in there, actually. I started to worry a little bit because my shoulder had felt *funny* earlier this week. And frankly, the left side of my body has not been cooperative with the whole cancer thing. Anyway, the chemotherapy was underway and everything was smooth sailing from there on out. It turns out that the needle was a little too deep into the port for use, but Mary is good at what she does so it was just a small hitch.
Mark was not as lucky as I. He had a rough day. Mark works very hard all week. He puts in many many hours...he averages 80 hours a week (at least 12 per day plus working from home on the weekends and whatever middle-of-the-night calls he gets...and he gets them regularly, trust me.) The problem-du-jour, or crisis-of the-moment (as he calls it) is that a test environment was accidentally pointing to real (live) stores and a job was run which sends price updates! 474 stores were affected, about 1000 items per store. He found this out during my chemotherapy and immediately began bargaining with the chemo nurses for drugs ot ar least an IV hookup! That problem is now fixed (good job team!), but now the concern is that there won't be enough time to get the weekend ads down to the stores by Saturday afternoon. Tonight and tomorrow will be interesting. Poor Mark. What gets his mind off cancer and chemo? Really, really bad , million dollar, career busting problems at work. What gets his mind off really, really bad million dollar, career busting problems at work? Cancer and chemo. He can never catch a break. When we got home Mark looked like a different person than the guy who drove me to chemo. He looked like HE was the one who got chemotherapy today. He looked beat up, and I am pretty sure he felt worse than I did. Someone, please take Mark to a baseball game!
I took a nap today after we got home. I feel okay right now. Tomorrow I expect won't be as good. I have meds that control nausea for 24 hours. I am not looking forward to the 25th hour. ;-)
Kathy and everyone else: thank you for the get well cards! Now stop it! Buying all of those Hallmark cards will not cause your profit sharing to increase that significantly! Hahahaha! Seriously, you are all wonderful, but you must be getting sick of writing those things in all of those cards! I am doing the best I can, and I feel the love...thank you thank you thank you! I just don't want you guys to get sick of me. And I am on track and doing everything the doctor told me. Now on the other hand, I could use some help and wishes losing weight! If you can say a few prayers for me in that arena, I would appreciate it! (snicker, snicker...pardon the expression)

No comments: