Thursday, May 19, 2005

Quest Diagnostics

I just got back from Quest Diagnostics. I had to give a little blood for a Prothrombin Time test. Marevil (the phlebotomist) is sure good at getting me to bleed. She spoke to me in tagalog today; something about being bald. I could tell because:
  1. she ran her hand over her head when she said it
  2. I know the little verse: 1,2,3 your father's bald....so I know the "bald" word
Marevil wasn't the one who gave me the finger prick last time before chemotherapy...it was a new girl. The first time the new girl tried, she barely got a drop of blood from my finger - she was too gentle and didn't want to hurt me I guess. I told her how Marevil does it: Marevil squeezes my finger first and holds it tight when she pricks it and the blood comes out fine...she scoops it into the little cup. Oh my goodness, after I told the new girl this - BOY DID THE BLOOD FLOW! I thought I might need a tourniquet to stem the flow! HA! I don't mind breaking in the new people.
Anyway, for today's test I had to have the blood drawn from my crook of my elbow. I just checked the cotton ball Marevil taped to my arm to see if I was still bleeding. I have to say it is a pretty big blot of blood...it is not seeping through, though. It seems to be stopped now. I am definitely going to keep the cotton ball taped on for the rest of the day, just in case. Quest is going to send the results upstairs to Dr. Sherman's office, so when I get there at 3:30 pm this afternoon for my shot of Lovenox, they will be able to let me know if there is an adjustment necessary for my Coumadin prescription, based on the results of the Prothrombin Time test, of course.

No comments: