PROJECT: 05-DJC:174.9

This is Deirdre's Breast Cancer Diary. I try to update this blog at least every evening. This is an easy way for me to keep a journal of the experience, and at the same time, I can keep my friends and family up-to-date on what is going on. I find it is not so bad to have cancer, but it is awfully depressing to talk about it. I hope you laugh as you read along. You can find the beginning in February ...in the archives. Thanks again for reading :o)

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Deep Vein Thrombosis

I just got home from the doctor's office. Actually, today I went to the doctor's office....then he sent me directly to the hospital...and they sent me back. I have a DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) which is a blood clot.
So here is how we take care of it:
  • I am currently taking Coumadin (blood thinner) 1 mg everyday. This is now changed to 10 mg.
  • I will get a shot of Lovenox everday for the next three days or so. (Coumadin takes a couple of days to work, but Lovenox works immediately).
  • On Thursday I will get lab work done: they will take my Prothrombin Time. I think that measures how long it takes for my blood to clot.
You have to be careful when you are on major blood thinners - any bruise or cut and you run the risk of bleeding to death. The flip side of that is that if the blood clot breaks loose, it is highly likely to kill me.
YIKES!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:59 PM, Blogger David said…

    what was the outcome of your treatment for DVT?

    I am having a procedure tomorrow to remove same from my left leg. name of doctor and other info available at http://davidsbloodclot.blogspot.com

    David

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home