Thursday, March 17, 2005

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Today is St. Patrick's Day. I can hardly believe it is already March. A couple of weeks ago I went to the drug store and couldn't find much St. Valentine's Day candy, although there was loads of Easter and St. Patrick's Day sweets. I couldn't figure out where the St. Valentine's candy went. Then I realized it had long past. I have been stuck running around all caught up in my cancer saga that I had missed it. Well, I did not miss St. Patrick's Day. How could I? I am Irish (and Filipino)! Did you know that the name Deirdre is an Irish name? There is a legend about Deirdre in Irish Folklore. You can read about it here or here. My sister reminded me that today was the day for Corned Beef and Cabbage, so that is what we had. It brought back memories of days gone by - family dinners, family fights, "no singing at the table!" and on and on. I miss those days....mostly I miss those people, my parents. My mom loved that we were Irish. She had a few buttons we could wear on St. Patrick's Day: "Kiss My Shillelagh" and "Kiss Me, I'm Irish".
Well, the Corned Beef turned out tough but the carrots, potatoes and cabbage were great. I also made cupcakes, but they turned out...weird. I have been getting pretty anxious about things in general lately. Like, I need to know that the dinner I prepare is great, not just good. And I am not a good cook in the first place, but I am getting worse at it, I think. I have trouble concentrating on things and so you can probably see that I must be driving Mark bananas. Plus I can't stop talking. What do I talk about? Anything, everything, and nothing. (sigh)
Anyway, I haven't been feeling well. I have gotten back on the Darvocet because my arm has really been hurting me - the shooting pains are still around. I am going to keep this one short tonight. But before I do: two jokes.
  1. what do you call a boiled potato and a six-pack of beer? (an Irish 7 course meal)
  2. what is green and sits in the yard all day? (Paddy O'Furniture)
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: