Thursday, November 17, 2005

Blood

I went to see my buddies (Marevil and Alice) over at Quest Diagnostics for a blood-letting. Just kidding, it was for "big labs". It is always so nice to see the two of them. Marevil and I have been comparing Filipino mannerisms for the last few appointments. (She and I have Filipino blood) She is funny. I have a lot of fun when I am there. I look forward to going to the lab.
Speaking of blood, I got a call from the doctor's office: it was Kathleen, the Nurse Practicioner. Kathleen monitors my coagulation time (my PRO-TIME). We had to increase my daily dose of Coumadin because based on my last lab work, my blood was clotting in 19 seconds, which is too fast to be therapeutic in dissolving my DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis -aka blood clot).
One more thing on the subject of blood: there is a mobile blood drive bus parked on one of the very well traveled roads here in my city. I get a twinge of sadness every time I see that bus. I used to give blood whenever there was a blood drive at work. Because of cancer, I can never donate blood again. This is only one of the changes to my life because of cancer.

No comments: