Sunday, May 15, 2005

Advanced Directives

This vein swelling in my neck had me up almost all night a few nights ago. It's kinda scary. Not that it hurt, just that it was scary. I have an order for an ultrasound to make sure it is not a clot or anything...but let's think about that. Supposing it was? Well then there is a great likelihood that I could have a stroke. Mind you, it is NOT a clot, I am pretty sure.
Now if I did have stroke, what then? Who would speak for me?
A few months back in February, before I had my first surgery to remove the lump in my breast I was asked by the woman at Admitting if I had an Advanced Directive ( a Will). Shucks, I have virtually no property so that was kind of a funny question...initially, at least. But the more I thought about it the more it made sense for me to write something down. I have no children but I have two brothers and two sisters and Mark. The last thing I would want is for there to be any confusion about who would decide how and where I would be cared for, should I become unable to speak for myself. It's unlikely that I would ever need that Advanced Directive read, but in case something happens, I am glad it exists. Mark has it. I scribbled a few things down like "who speaks for me" and "who gets my kick ass shoe collection"...things like that.
I am not trying to freak anyone out, I am going to be fine.
People don't like to think about things like this, about unpleasant possibilities...but ya gotta. It is just smart. You may never use it, but if you need to, it is soooo good to have.
My mom made sure we didn't have to deal with decisions when she passed away. She had Living Trust prepared. I recommend it. Everyone should have one of these. You never know when you will need it.

1 comment:

Big Heavy said...

thank you deirdre for sharing what you're going through with the world. would it be alright if i prayed for you?